A one-stop shop for the workforce development and asset building, Restoration's Economic Solutions Center (ESC) is a leader in advancing a holistic approach to financial independence, meeting customers where they are in terms of skills and needs. Serving both adults and youth in Central Brooklyn with a focus on low-to-moderate income individuals.
Economic Solutions Center
The Economic Solutions Center model includes a comprehensive set of services that help individuals and families stabilize their financial situation while they are looking for work or career advancement. In a typical year, Restoration serves over 7,000 individuals with financial counseling, workforce development, youth enrichment and social support services. Sample outcomes for the past two years include:
- 4,578 financial coaching sessions offered
- 3,270 took advantage of our financial counseling services
- Over $9.2 million generated in tax refunds, including $4 million in Earned Income Tax Credits alone
- 1,530 people received workplace readiness training; 770 people placed in jobs
- 1,400 young people placed in summer jobs
- 2,033 people screened for various public benefits
- Amount earned in cumulative benefit payments—$8.4 million
Restoration's Economic Solutions Center Work Readiness and Job Referrals
- Basic Job Readiness Workshops covering such topics as How to Write a Killer Resume, Mastering the Job Application, Championship Interviewing, Networking in a Tough Economy, Dealing with Tough Work Situations, Are You Listening?, and Legendary Customer Service
- Sector-Specific Instruction such as Customer Service and Food Handlers
- One-on-one counseling and Career Coaching for workshop participants, assistance with job search, as well as access to Restoration's computer lab and job database
- Benefits Screenings and Enrollments, Stress Management Workshops, and Financial Coaching and Workshops to better manage your life while you are searching for work.
- First hand access to job screening and interview events for available jobs with our employer partners. Please check our calendar regularly for upcoming screening and interview events.
- Updated Hot Jobs listing with available jobs through our employer partners
Removing barriers to financial stability and self-sufficiency, Restoration's Economic Solutions Center provides integrated services including financial literacy workshops and one-on-one financial counseling to help thousands of households reduce debt, improve credit, and save for the future. In today's challenging economic environment, can you afford not to get the help you need?
Weekly Financial Literacy Workshops: Restoration partners with leaders in the financial sector to present the Wealth Building Tuesdays series, equipping individuals with information necessary to make sound decisions about their financial future. Topics included personal finance and money management, credit maintenance, savings for education and retirement, debt reduction and investment strategies. In addition to representatives from leading banks such as JPMorgan Chase, HSBC, Capital One, and Bank of America, presenters have included Credit Where Credit is Due and Workshop in Business Opportunities (WIBO).
One-on-One financial counseling: For those needing more intensive one-on-one support, the Economic Solutions Center provides private counseling, helping thousands of Brooklynites each year manage credit, reduce debt, increase savings and access critical banking services. There are no income limitations and conversations with our counselors are entirely free and confidential. Headquartered at Restoration Plaza, Restoration also operates mobile financial empowerment sites in Brownsville, downtown Brooklyn, Cypress Hills and Bushwick.
Tax Preparation Assistance: Did you know a major untapped source of cash for low-income families is the Earned Income Tax Credit? Some 35,000 individuals in Bedford Stuyvesant are eligible for EITC while only roughly 25% actually claimed these returns. Restoration is committed to increasing access to this major resource and partners to provide free tax preparation assistance at Restoration Plaza for income eligible individuals. Stop by 1406 Fulton Street and speak to our customer service desk or for additional information call (718) 636-6994.
Connections to Care
Our goal is to help individuals survive and thrive. The daily pressures from finding and maintaining work and housing, to managing debt and family undoubtedly causes pressures for anyone and everyone. Through our Connections to Care initiative, we ensure that members of the
community have access to mental health professionals who can provide guidance on coping with life challenges. The premise is to prioritize mental wellness, which in turns positively impacts other areas of our life. We're one of the community based organizations working in conjunction with the Mayor’s Social Innovation Funded, Thrive Initiative to address the mental wellness of New York City residents.
- Screening for stress, anxiety, depression and substance abuse needs.
- Referrals to onsite and external trained counselors and other support networks.
- Stress Management Peer to Peer support group services (Tuesday 2-4).
- All members of the community are eligible for our mental health services.
How To Enroll:
- Call customer service or simply walk in to schedule an appointment.
- Shimonah Israel at (718) 636-6994 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you ever find yourself feeling completely dismayed by a physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and or social aspect of your life? Answer a short questionnaire to determine if you are suffering from stress.
Are you nervous, anxious of constantly worried? Answer a short questionnaire to determine if you are suffering from anxiety.
Have you been sad for 2 or more weeks? Has it negatively impacted your work or ability to function? Answer a short questionnaire to determine if you are suffering from depression.
Has drinking or other drug use caused problems between you and your family or friends? Has it negatively impacted work, school or your personal life? Answer a short questionnaire to determine if you are suffering from substance abuse.
Get immediate help 24/7 coping with any mental health issue by visiting link: https://nycwell.cityofnewyork.us/en/
Restoration provides a continuum of services that collectively remove barriers to employment, family stability and economic self-sufficiency. Services include free benefits screening, on-site food stamp and Medicaid enrollment, financial and legal counseling, social services referrals, and one-on-one case management -- all at one convenient location.
- Experienced case managers to assess your needs, provide information about benefits programs, and link you to local resources to help you meet your goals including but not limited to Eviction Prevention Assistance (One Shot Deal), child care vouchers/Head Start enrollment, rent increase exemptions for seniors and the disabled (SCRIE/DRIE), heat and energy savings (HEAP/Empower)
- Licensed lawyers to address problems such as eviction notices, ACS/termination of parental rights, SSD disputes, Consumer Credit, Immigration, Foreclosure Prevention, IRS Taxpayer Services
- Knowledgeable financial counselors to help with debt management, budgeting planning for the future
- Compassionate social workers to help cope with domestic violence, substance abuse, family matters or other barriers to your well-being
To schedule an appointment or for more information contact our customer service at (718) 636-6994 or walk in to schedule an appointment at Restoration Plaza at the Economic Solutions Center (next to the U.S. Post Office).
Upcoming Events › Economic Solutions Center
Webinar Information: Learn how a community may use weekly bike rides and community events as a means of promoting a culture of biking. This webinar will demonstrate how communities such as Bedford-Stuyvesant and Harlem have used these vehicles to better engage residents and promote the health and wellness of residents. This webinar is being presented by Bedford Stuyvesant Restoration, in partnership with NYC Better Bike Share Partnership and supported by PeopleForBikes and New York State Health Foundation. RSVP here ____________________________________________________________________…Find out more »